How to Install the iOS 12
Apple’s latest mobile operating system for iPhones will be released to everyone Monday, Sept. 17. However, if you are wondering how to install the iOS 12 “golden master” right now, you came to the right website. Historically, the GM build is the exact same thing as the stable release the following week. Hence, there’s no harm in installing it right now. Right now, there are two methods to install it.
How to Install the iOS 12 using the Developer Beta Program
In case you’re a developer, the easiest way to get iOS 12 GM is to use your Apple Developer account.
- Register your iPhone’s UDID with your dev account.
- Plug your iPhone to charge and connect to a secure Wi-Fi.
- On your iPhone, visit developer.apple.com/download and sign into your developer account.
- In case you have two-factor authentication on your account, verify your identity.
- Tap “Download” next to the iOS 12 beta.
- On the popup, “Allow” the website to open up your Settings.
- Tap “Install” on the .mobileconfig profile
- Follow the subsequent prompts. And select “Restart” when prompted.
- Once the phone restarts it runs iOS 12
- You can check the “Software Update” section in your device’s “General” settings to install new beta versions.
- If you’re installing iOS 12 beta on multiple devices, you will need to first add all their UDIDs to the dev site so that they are registered, then you can just send them the .mobileconfig profile to install via email, AirDrop, etc.
How to Install the iOS 12 using the Public Beta Program
- On your iPhone, visit beta.apple.com.
- Tap the “Sign Up” button if you have not enrolled to the Beta Software Program.
- Or “Sign In” button if you have enrolled to the Beta Software Program .
- Log in using your Apple ID and password.
- Read and accept the Apple Beta Software Program Agreement.
- Visit beta.apple.com/profile to enroll your device.
- Click the “Download profile” link below the page.
- When prompted, tap “Allow” to see the configuration profile.
- Click on “Install” on the iOS 12 Beta Software Profile.
- Enter your password to confirm.
- Click “Install” on the consent form, then “Install” on the popup.
- Restart your iPhone immediately.
- After it’s up and running, go to Settings –> General –> Software Update.
- Select “Download and Install,” then finish installing the iOS 12 beta.
How to Install the iOS 12 usingthe IPSW File
Download the appropriate IPSW file linked below that matches your iPhone model.
- iPhone X
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone 6S
- iPhone 6S Plus
- iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone SE
- iPhone 5S
- 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation)
- 12.9-inch iPad Pro (1st generation)
- 10.5-inch iPad Pro
- 9.7-inch iPad Pro
- 9.7-inch iPad (6th generation)
- 9.7-inch iPad (5th generation)
- iPad Air 2
- iPad Air
- iPad mini 4
- iPad mini 3
- iPad mini 2
- iPod touch (6th generation)
Once you download the appropriate IPSW file for your device onto your Mac or Windows computer. Use it in iTunes to update your iPhone’s firmware to iOS 12 GM. Moreover, doing it this way won’t erase any photos, video, or other important data on your device.
Update and log into itunes
- Connect your iPhone to your computer.
- Open iTunes.
- Make sure iTunes is running the latest software version available. You can check in the Mac App Store’s “Update” tab in macOS.
- However, for Windows, you can use “Check for Updates” in the “Help” menu in iTunes. But, if you don’t see that, check for updates from the Microsoft Store.
- Sign into your Apple account in iTunes if not already logged in.
- Click on the iPhone icon when it appears in iTunes next to the media drop down. In addition, make sure you’re on its “Summary” view.
Back up iOS 11 and install iOS 12
- A full backup can be made via iTunes right now. However, a partial backup can be done via iCloud. We recommend using iTunes since you’re already there. Moreover, use the encrypted option if you want to retain Health and Activity data.
- Archive your iOS 11 backup. This will prevent iTunes from overwriting your iOS 11 backup with iOS 12 the next time you sync with iTunes. However, doing the step is optional, and only necessary if you feel like you’ll want to downgrade back to iOS 11.4.1.
- To archive it, open up “Preferences” in iTunes, select the “Devices” tab, then right-click on the appropriate iOS 11 backup and select “Archive.” (A lock should appear next to it now. First, initiate process. Then,hold down the Option key on a Mac or the Shift key on Windows, then click on the “Update” or “Check for Update” button in iTunes.
- Finally, choose the file from the file selection window. Now, pick the IPSW restore image that you downloaded above, then click “Open” to begin installing it.
- iPhone restarts when itune is done.
- Follow the on-screen prompts on your iPhone to activate and set up iOS 12.
- Additionally, we recommend opening up the App Store and updating all of your apps for iOS 12 specific updates.