How to Make an Image Background Transparent in Office
Users can remove a background from a picture to accent or highlight the subject of the picture in Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook. Follow the steps below to make an image background transparent in MS Office.
Steps To Make an Image Background Transparent in Office
- Click the picture that you want to remove the background.
- Under Picture Tools, on the Format tab, in the Adjust group, click Remove Background.
- If you do not see Remove Background or the Picture Tools tab, make sure to select the picture. Note : You might have to double-click the picture to select it and open the Format tab.
- The default background area will be colored magenta to mark it for removal.
- However, the foreground retains its natural coloring. In some cases, you have the result you want without any additional work. In other cases, you will want to add or remove areas of the picture, as described in the next step.
- If necessary, under Picture Tools, on the Background Removal tab, do one or both of the following:
- If it removes the parts of the picture that you want to keep , click Mark Areas to Keep and use the free-form drawing pencil used to draw tables to mark the areas on the picture that you want to keep.
- To remove more parts of the picture, click Mark Areas to Remove and use the drawing pencil used to draw tables to mark those areas.
- When you are done, click Keep Changes or Discard All Changes in the Close group.
Save the edited picture
- The changes that you make to your picture’s background only affect the copy of the image shown in the presentation, document, workbook, or email message.
- However, once you are done and have selected Keep Changes, you can then right-click the image and click Save as Picture to save your newly revised image as a separate file.