How to Register to Vote in for the Elections Nebraska
This article describes how to register to vote in Nebraska. Nebraska offers online voter registration. You can register to vote by mail in Nebraska by printing a copy of the National Voter Registration Form, filling it out, and mailing it to your local election office. You can also register to vote in person if you prefer.
Register to vote in Nebraska In-person
- You can also register to vote in person. The deadline to register to vote in person is Friday, October 26. Contact your local election officefor information on when and where to register to vote.
- Learn more by visiting the Secretary of State for Nebraskaor contacting your local election official.
Who can vote
- To register in Nebraska you must be a citizen of the United States and be a resident of Nebraska
- Be at least 18 years of age or will be 18 years of age on or before the first Tuesday after the first Monday of November
- Not have been convicted of a felony, or if convicted, it has been at least two years since you have completed your sentence for the felony, including any parole term
- Should not have been officially found to be mentally incompetent
Register to vote in Nebraska Online
- Nebraska offers online voter registration.
- You should know: you need a Nebraska ID to use Nebraska’s online voter registration system. If you don’t have a Nebraska-issued ID, you can still register to vote by mail.
- You can register online until Friday, October 19.
Register to vote in Nebraska By-mail voter registration
- Print and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 – ID Number: You must provide your Nebraska driver’s license number. If you do not have a Nebraska driver’s license number then you must list the last four digits of your Social Security number.
- Box 7 – Choice of Party: Nebraska requires that you register with a party to participate in partisan primary elections. You should register with the party whose primary you would like to vote in. If you do not choose to register with a party you may declare a party affiliation at the polls on primary election day.
- Box 8 – Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank.
- Review the “Who can vote?” section above and check that you’re eligible.
- Sign the form.
- Send the completed form to your local election official. To register by mail, the form must be postmarked by Friday, October 19.
Military and overseas voters Register to vote in Nebraska
Active-duty military, their families, and voters living outside the US can register to vote and request their absentee ballot using the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA). To do so:
- Fill out the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA), or download a copy. Your election official may have questions, so please provide an email address or phone number where they can reach you.
- Send the application to your election official.
- It is never too early to submit an FPCA! Please do so as soon as possible. You can look up recommended mailing dates by country and region.
- When your ballot arrives, read it carefully and follow the instructions to complete it and return it.
- States begin mailing absentee ballots at least 45 days before Election Day. If you haven’t received your ballot by 30 days before Election Day, contact your local election office.
If after submitting your FPCA, your ballot does not arrive, contact your election official first. Then:
- You can still vote using the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB). Print, sign, and mail your FWAB to your local election office.
- If you mail a FWAB and then receive your regular absentee ballot, you should complete and mail your absentee ballot also. Election officials will ensure that only one ballot is counted.
The Federal Voting Assistance Program – FVAP.gov offers additional information on military and overseas voting in Nebraska.
Check your voter registration status
You can look up your voter registration record and verify that your information is correct using Nebraska’s voter registration lookup tool.
Dates and deadlines
- Election day is Tuesday, November 6.
- The deadline to register online is Friday, October 19. By mail is Friday, October 19. And, in person is Friday, October 26.