How to Register to Vote in for the Elections West Virginia
This article describes how to register to vote in West Virginia. West Virginia offers online voter registration. You can register to vote by mail in West Virginia by printing a copy of the National Voter Registration Form, filling it out, and mailing it to your local election office. You can also register to vote in person if you prefer.
Register to vote in West Virginia In-person
- You can also register to vote in person. The deadline to register to vote in person is Tuesday, October 16. Contact your local election officefor information on when and where to register to vote.
- Learn more by visiting the Secretary of State for West Virginiaor contacting your local election official.
Who can vote
- To register in West Virginia you must be a citizen of the United States and live in West Virginia at the address on your application
- Be 18 years old, or to vote in the primary be 17 years old and turning 18 before the general election
- And, not be under conviction, probation, or parole for a felony, treason or election bribery
- Or, not have been judged “mentally incompetent” in a court of competent jurisdiction
Register to vote in West Virginia Online
- West Virginia offers online voter registration.
- You should know: you need a West Virginia ID and a Social Security number to use West Virginia’s online voter registration system. If you don’t have a West Virginia-issued ID, you can still register to vote by mail.
- You can register online until Tuesday, October 16.
Register to vote in West Virginia By-mail voter registration
- Print and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 – ID Number: Enter your driver’s license number. If you do not have a driver’s license number, enter the last four numbers of your Social Security number. If you do not have a driver’s license number or a Social Security number, an identification number will be assigned to you.
- Box 7 – Choice of Party: West Virginia recommends that you register with a party to participate in partisan primary elections. You should register with the party whose primary you would like to vote in. However both major parties allow unaffiliated voters to participate in their primary elections.
- Box 8 – Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank.
- Review the “Who can vote?” section above and check that you’re eligible.
- Sign the form.
- Send the completed form to your local election official. To register by mail, the form must be postmarked by Tuesday, October 16.
Military and overseas voters Register to vote in West Virginia
Active-duty military, their families, and voters living outside the US can register to vote and request their absentee ballot using the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA). To do so:
- Fill out the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA), or download a copy. Your election official may have questions, so please provide an email address or phone number where they can reach you.
- Send the application to your election official.
- It is never too early to submit an FPCA! Please do so as soon as possible. You can look up recommended mailing dates by country and region.
- When your ballot arrives, read it carefully and follow the instructions to complete it and return it.
- States begin mailing absentee ballots at least 45 days before Election Day. If you haven’t received your ballot by 30 days before Election Day, contact your local election office.
If after submitting your FPCA, your ballot does not arrive, contact your election official first. Then:
- You can still vote using the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB). Print, sign, and mail your FWAB to your local election office.
- If you mail a FWAB and then receive your regular absentee ballot, you should complete and mail your absentee ballot also. Election officials will ensure that only one ballot is counted.
The Federal Voting Assistance Program – FVAP.gov offers additional information on military and overseas voting in West Virginia.
Check your voter registration status
You can look up your voter registration record and verify that your information is correct using West Virginia’s voter registration lookup tool.
Dates and deadlines
- Election day is Tuesday, November 6.
- The deadline to register online is Tuesday, October 16. By mail is Tuesday, October 16. And, in person is Tuesday, October 16.
Click here to view How to Register to Vote in Other States.